This privacy notice is for service-manual.ons.gov.uk.
Data we collect
We collect information about how you use the ONS Service Manual to help us improve the site and make sure it is meeting the needs of its users.
We collect information on:
- the pages you visit
- how long you spend on each page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you are visiting the site
- how you interact with a page
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address
We do not store your personal information through Google Analytics (for example, your name or address). We do not allow Google Analytics to use or share data about how you use the site. We will not identify you through analytics information, and we will not combine analytics information with other datasets in a way that would identify who you are.
This website contains embedded YouTube videos.
This website contains embedded Vimeo videos.
If you send us a private or direct message through social media, the message will be stored by Hootsuite for three months. It will not be shared with any other organisations.
This site contains links to other websites. The ONS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to service-manual.ons.gov.uk from another website
Why we need your data
We collect anonymised information through Google Analytics to help:
- make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users
- make improvements to the website
We also collect data to:
- gather feedback to improve our services
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you have asked us to
- monitor use of the site to identify security threats
Our legal basis for processing your data
Our legal basis for processing anonymised data for Google Analytics is your consent.
Our legal basis for processing all other personal data is that it is necessary:
- to perform a task in the public interest
- in the exercise of our functions as a government department
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with our technology suppliers, for example, our hosting provider.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share data with third parties for marketing purposes
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your access log data for 12 months, after which it will be deleted.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible while it is being processed and when it is stored.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure.
We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data. For example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of the personal data we keep
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data are erased if there is no longer a justification for it being kept
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, contact us.
Contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO)
You should contact the DPO if you:
- have a question about anything in this privacy notice
- think that your personal data have been misused or mishandled
You can contact the DPO:
- by email at
- by telephone on +44 845 601 3034
- by post at
Data Protection Officer
Office for National Statistics
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, we will take reasonable steps to let you know.